I’ve been hoarding fabric for years.
To the point where I started thinking, as I folded a ripped sheet onto the appropriate color coded shelf if I was ever going to DO anything with the stock.
“Sure I am!”
I told myself.
“When the project wants to come, it’ll speak to me and, voila! Sewing Magic!”
And then one day, there was a duck-down throw at my local thrift shop, naked without a cover and needing me.
Time to raid the fabric pile!
My daughter’s 1st birthday is coming up, and I have enough pink and pink-friendly material to assemble a duvet cover and a couple matching half curtains as a present.
#1. Assemble chosen fabric(s)
Using cast-off materials appeals to me because it does not require carefully measured yards of second guessed patterns and colors. I am working with whatever there is, in whatever sizes there are. No matter how badly I screw it up, it’s okay because there was nothing at stake.
#2. Choose a method.
What do I want this to look like? Do I want squares? Triangles? Squares and triangles? I decided to take the lazy way out and make the duvet cover out of long rectangular strips.
#3. Measure twice, riiiiiiiip once.
I use my cutting mat to do a rough measurement of each piece of fabric (old skirts and a bowling shirt).
When there are 4 inches of material, I make a slit, and I pick up the item and rip all the way down. I rip because I am too lazy/impatient for scissors.
#4. Strips of Three.
Once I’ve thoroughly demolished the source material and my work table is smothered in a plethora of patterns; I choose the order. Which should be sewn together to make them most pleasing to my eye?
If one strip is not quite at my 2-yard length requirement, I sew on more of itself until it’s good.
I start with one and pin another to it, right sides together. To that duo, I add a third.
Once I have straight stitched all three together, I lay it aside and do the next group of three and the next. I continue until I have a stack of them; enough to cover my needs.
Since I’m making two short curtains, I select a couple of these sewn trios to hem later.
The rest of the pieces of three I assemble until they look ‘right’ to my personal aesthetic. Then I pin the right sides together, followed by sewing until I have a solid panel for the front of my duvet cover.
I went ahead and used an old sheet for the back of my duvet cover. The benefit is that I can make the most of the already hemmed edges!
Then I measured, riiiiipped, and pinned the right sides together until everything looks good. Then sew three of the four sides together and before pulling the duvet cover right side out.
Martha Stewart may not have done it that way but it suits me, and it works just fine.
I finished the edges of the two remaining panels and sewed on some loops made out of small scraps.
Voila! Matching curtains and blanket!